You know how to handle inventions in your domain, but this new IDF makes you scratch your head. The inventors talk about digital twins, deep neural networks, and how they do federated learning in the cloud. You ask yourself:
- How to frame these things as “technical” for the European Patent Office?
- Should I include code or training data in the application?
- Will my current outside counsel know what to do?
- What if the EPO examiner challenges the invention, objecting it merely automates an administrative task or doesn’t credibly achieve the alleged technical effect?
Imagine your patent is in safe hands
Picture this – You have an industry-acclaimed specialist patent attorney by your side just for these types of “digital” IDFs. He has a proven strategy how to frame the invention to meet the latest EPO software patent case law. He engages on eye level with the inventors and gets them to describe the nitty-gritty details. The EPO examiner instantly comprehends the invention and issues a clear search report with minimal technicality, clarity and plausibility objections. You feel confident that your digital patent is in the best possible shape.
Book a Patent Drafting Engagement
I specialize in crafting top-tier patents for inventions in AI, IoT, Web3 and all things digital. If the IDF involves an algorithm or a digital business model, chances are I’ve worked on similar cases and have some creative ideas how to hook into the EPO’s framework for computer-implemented inventions. A one-time Patent Drafting Engagement typically starts at 8,000.- € and my deliverable is a ready-to-be-filed patent application.
- I’m a German and European patent attorney with a computer science master’s degree (Dipl.-Inf.).
- I’m a sought-after speaker on digital patents at EPO conferences. I teach digital patenting at ETH Zurich.
- I’ve been prosecuting and ligitating nothing else than software patents for more than 14 years.
Ready to get started?
Are you ready to take your digital patents to the next level? Fantastic! We can start the Patent Drafting Engagement immediately after conflicts are cleared. Let’s do a quick conflict check:
No obligation whatsoever at this point! You can still decide not to work with me after conflicts are cleared.
Here’s what will happen next
Once conflicts are cleared, we’ll schedule a 30-minute discovery call to discuss the project’s scope, timing, and budget.
A Patent Drafting Engagement then typically unfolds as follows:
- You provide a well-crafted IDF
- We conduct an interview with the inventors (typically one hour is sufficient)
- I send you a draft set of claims for discussion
- I draft the full application
- We fine-tune and finalize the application until it’s ready
- You have your IP strategy in place (don’t ask me “should we file a patent on this invention?”). When it has been decided that a patent application needs to be filed, I’ll draft it.
- You have a full-featured IDF ready. Otherwise, you might consider booking an IDF Creation Workshop first.
- I get direct access to the inventors.
But don’t take my word for it
Here’s what my clients say:
I chose Bastian as Soul Machines’ EU patent representative because I know the EU has a notoriously high bar for accepting software-related inventions and wanted an expert in this space. Bastian did not disappoint: he knows the field inside and out and keeps up-to-date with the latest developments in computer implemented inventions, artificial intelligence, and digital business models.Antonia Modkova, Director of IP and Innovation at Soul Machines Limited
Working with Bastian Best and BESTPATENT was an excellent experience. His and his colleagues’ council was extremely valuable to me in building a valuable IP portfolio at our company. I did and do value his strategic advice and insights very highly – in particular, because Basti was keen and able to dive into the details of our business in order to help us implement the IP strategy that really suited our needs. Our business and technology advanced very rapidly and Basti and his team were able to keep up with our fast pace, advising on and helping draft applications just as rapidly. Basti is honest and transparent in his work and a pleasure to work with. I would recommend him as a patent lawyer to anyone searching for quick and effective assistance in that area.Malcolm Yadack, COO at AMERIA AG
Anyone who applies for a patent puts their trust and their future in the hands of the IP professional they work with. From this perspective, the decision to go with Bastian was easy for us. In fact, he is the best IP professional I have ever worked with. Bastian is deeply knowledgeable, highly intelligent and always considerate. He knows patent law and the system on every level, and works tirelessly on behalf of his clients. Yet, it is his integrity that led us to work with him. I could not think of a better person to trust with the future of our company.Chris Hanebeck, CEO at Truckl LLC
Still have questions?
- “Bastian, will you also provide full representation before the patent office?” – No, I’m no longer running a full-service firm. You take care of the filing, docketing and formalities or I can recommend one of my cooperating docketing firms. I’m happy to get involved again when the first office action comes in.
- “No full service? Sounds complicated for the client…” – Not at all. Many of my clients continue to work with their proven outside counsel for the docketing, reporting of formal communications and non-digital patent work. When a difficult digital innovation comes across, I draft the application, handle the office actions, and take the case through oral proceedings.
- “Bastian, are you working on your own?” – No, almost always with a team. I believe that great work products are the result of competing viewpoints by diverse contributors with unique core competences. Depending on my client’s needs I draw from my network of specialists and allied law firms to put together the perfect team for every project.
- “Bastian, how much do you charge?” – I’m probably your most expensive option for the job. My fees are in the same ballpark as those of the top-tier European IP firms, maybe slightly higher. If you’re a price buyer, I’m happy to recommend a commodity law firm from my network.
Still have questions? No problem! Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ready to get started?
Great! Let’s get the conflict check out of the way:
Title image: Fig. 1 of EP 4 000 000 A1